Automod

Automod

Postby regw » Wed May 29, 2013 6:53 am

phpBB Version; 2.0.? or 3.0.? : not sure
phpBB Type: Standard
MODs installed: Yes
Your knowledge: Basic Knowledge
Boardlink: http://voodoofamily.com/index.php

What changes, if any, did you make just before the problem started?
Tried to install "Snow over the board."

What have you already tried to solve the problem?
Tried to get help elsewhere after exhausting my limited knowledge

Description and Message
I am quite new to setting up and managing a site.

I have managed to get the site up and running and now have over 700 members.

Automod is installed and i tried to add the above mod.

I fear i may have totally mucked it up although this does not appear to have conflicted with anything else on my site.

I have attempted to uninstall it but to no avail.
Any help you can give will be most appreciated.
regw

are you here: yes

Re: Automod

Postby lumpy » Fri May 31, 2013 10:22 pm

Hi, sorry it took so long to reply.

I don't see evidence of the MOD being installed in the overall_header.html file.

I see no problems with the site.

what problems did you have installing the snow MOD.

also, just curious, why do you want snow on your board in the spring/summer?

robert
*********************************************************************************************
If you are happy with my services, please consider a donation by clicking on the donation button below so I can continue to provide help.
Thank you
lumpy
Site Admin

Postby regw » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:07 am

Hi Robert.Appreciate your response m8.

The reason i was trying the "Snow" mod,is simply to see if i could install and mod correctly using "Automod."lol

There are no problems with the site so far as i can see.

I was just curious as to why the mod hadn't installed properly and why i am unable to delete it.

It's nice to speak to someone that doesn't treat us learners like we are stupid.Thankyou.
regw

Postby lumpy » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:06 pm

regw wrote:Hi Robert.Appreciate your response m8.

The reason i was trying the "Snow" mod,is simply to see if i could install and mod correctly using "Automod."lol

There are no problems with the site so far as i can see.

I was just curious as to why the mod hadn't installed properly and why i am unable to delete it.

It's nice to speak to someone that doesn't treat us learners like we are stupid.Thankyou.

HI, ok, let me go install it and see how it goes. then we can talk about exactly what you did to try and install it and what you did to try to uninstall it.

robert
*********************************************************************************************
If you are happy with my services, please consider a donation by clicking on the donation button below so I can continue to provide help.
Thank you
lumpy
Site Admin

Postby lumpy » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:27 pm

Ok, I just installed it on this test board here:

board

I have automod installed on that board and I uploded the snow MOD to the mods folder as normal,
went to the automod tab in the admi panel and clicked on install and it installed.

now, I got a strange error about it being for version 3.0.11 and my version is 3.0.11 so I don't know what the error. However, I just clicked continue. I then got the normal error about the UMIL version being out of date but ignored that one as well and clicked continue.

Then the final step in many of not most MODs is to run the database script. Most MODs have a link in automod to click for doing that.

It is in a green box at the top of the page after the MOD has been successfully installed.

also, if you read the instructions on that page it also says that you have to refresh your template and purge the cache .

also, once install is finished, you have to go to the admin panel, .MODs tab and turn it on.

now, how did you attempt to uninstall it? and why do you think it is not uninstalled?

ropbert
Thank you
lumpy
Site Admin

Postby regw » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:25 am

Hi again Robert.

I also get the same strange message.

I tried to reinstall using your instructions,i clicked on the green box and it took me to "Hostgator" and i got this message.......

ERROR 404 - PAGE NOT FOUND

This is where i am stumped.

I can PM you my admin password for my board so you can see for yourself if it will help.

Regards Reg
regw

Postby lumpy » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:27 am

regw wrote:Hi again Robert.

I also get the same strange message.

I tried to reinstall using your instructions,i clicked on the green box and it took me to "Hostgator" and i got this message.......

ERROR 404 - PAGE NOT FOUND

This is where i am stumped.

I can PM you my admin password for my board so you can see for yourself if it will help.

Regards Reg

yes, that would be fine. I will see if I can get it installed for you and figure out what the problems are.

robert
Thank you
lumpy
Site Admin

Postby lumpy » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:28 pm

Ok, I finished the uninstall and then reinstalled it for you.

most MODs have file edits and database changes.

in this case, you had uninstalled the file edits but had not uninstalled the database changes.

no good way to explain it to you but when this stuff happens you have to just click the uninstall buttons in automod and then decide
(based on what the error messages are telling you ) to force the uninstall or not.

for some MODs you can run the install.php ( or whatever the MOD database file is called ) again and it will give you the option to uninstall.

as for this MOD, once it is installed properly, you still have to turn it on in the .MODs tab and then you have to refresh your template/theme and imageset for whatever styles you are using it on. you do that from the admin panel/styles tab:

on the left, click on imageset
on the right, click on refresh for your style(s)
on the left, click on template
on the left, click on theme

You already have a lot of MODs installed and some pretty big and hard ones to install. Did you do them all manually?

If you know how to do that then there is really no need for even using automod unless you just want to save time in the future.

also, none of the MODs installed outside of automod are listed in automod and you can not uninstall them or manage them from automod at all.

now, if you do not want this MOD on the board, then go to automod and click uninstall and follow the steps.

if you just want to turn it off, then go to .MODs tab and it is the last one in the list, just check no.

robert
Thank you
lumpy
Site Admin

Postby regw » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:25 pm

Robert,you are a star and a gentleman m8.

The way you have helped me with my problem has been great.

You treated me the way that i wanted to be treated.You explained things in a way that was easy for me to understand even though i am quite a novice at forum Admin.

In answer to your question,...............

I set up a very basic site on "Freeforums" and then went for "Advanced hosting" with "Hostgator."

The guy that did the transfer for me added the installed mods as part of the package.

I got him to install "Automod" for me so i could,hopefully,install any other mods that would want in the future.

I only started the forum in March and have managed so far to master getting things onto the forum via FTP.

Have added games to the Arcade,smilies,icons and extra styles etc.

We all have to learn and start somewhere and with sites like this and with help from people like yourself,we will get there in the end.

Thanx once again Robert.

Donation sent.Not a very large one but hope it helps.
regw

Postby lumpy » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:18 pm

thank you very much. I have changed hosting companies in the last two days. The one I was using was just getting so slow that I couldn't stand it any longer and got a new company that is much faster.
I lost several months of prepaid on the old company but hey......

anyway, the site should work much faster now than it was and it all went smoothly .

if you need any more help, just ask.

robert
Thank you
lumpy
Site Admin

Postby Helena » Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:00 pm

Hi Reg, my 2 cents worth as I also have an arcade and installed the snow Mod, it slows down the Games so much I switched it off, although it was pretty on the Board. I was going to make inquiries closer to Xmas, if it is possible to isolate it to only the forum and not active in the arcade.

PS I agree Robert is the best :D I hate needing to ask on the main phpbb board, a couple of them can be so sarcastic..
Helena

Postby lumpy » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:38 am

that post was some time ago.

I have not looked into this but I think you could put the snow code on just the pages you want it to show up on instead of the overall_header.html file.

anything in the overall_header.html file will show on every page of the board. When a MOD is also using the overall_header file that means that the snow will show up on those pages as well.

so, maybe, if you just put whatever the snow code is that goes in the overall_header file in the index_body, viewforum_body and viewtopic_body html files it would only show on those pages and not on the arcade pages.

like I said, I have not checked this at all, just a guess.

robert
Thank you
lumpy
Site Admin

Postby regw » Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:40 pm

Hi Robert.

Since we last spoke,i have added a "Christmas theme."

For whatever reason,the "Snow" does not work on the new theme.
There are other mods that also do not work.
Can you tell me what i am doing wrong plz m8?

Ta muchly.
regw

Postby lumpy » Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:04 pm

whatever style edits that the MOD requires must be done manually to any new styles that you install.

robert
Thank you
lumpy
Site Admin

Postby regw » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:40 pm

I have installed a Christmas theme and can't get the shoutbox or the footer to work properly.

Any ideas guys and gals?

Thanx for your help..

I managed to resolve the problem with the snow,thanx.
regw

Return to Basic Support