Email settings (SOLVED)

Email settings (SOLVED)

Postby Helena » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:58 pm

phpBB Version; 2.0.? or 3.0.? :
phpBB Type: Standard
MODs installed: Yes
Your knowledge: Beginner
Boardlink: http://www.theholyburble

What changes, if any, did you make just before the problem started?
Moved to a new Host/server

What have you already tried to solve the problem?

Description and Message
Hi Robert, :)

OK had my board moved to a new Host, the email notification on registration isnt working, and neither is the email a member function. I asked at my new host and maybe they do things differently,

P: as we have disabled the php mail function on shared server for spamming and hacking issue prevention.

Andrew P: I would suggest you to contact your website developer and ask them to use the SMTP instead of php mail function

Im lost.. :oops: how do I get emails again?
Last edited by Helena on Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Helena

are you here: yes

Re: Email settings

Postby lumpy » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:09 pm

Hi, thanks for coming by here and asking for help. this place gets a little lonely at times.

since your host does not provide php then you will need to use their smtp setup.

when you signed up with the host you should have received an email with all of your connection info. one of the things in that email should have been the smtp settings for email.

if not, then in your hosting control panel or hosting support section somewhere there should be instructions on how to setup smtp using their smtp server etc.

in most cases, you would use something like this:

smtp server: mail.yourdomain.com
or smtp.yourdomain.com

you should have a username and password for the host's smtp server.

now, in your phpbb admin panel, you go to the email settings and choose yes for smtp and put that info in the blanks.

that should get your email working.

if you have any other questions just let me know.

robert
*********************************************************************************************
If you are happy with my services, please consider a donation by clicking on the donation button below so I can continue to provide help.
Thank you
lumpy
Site Admin

Postby Helena » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:01 am

:D I do look in, and follow your advise quietly on PHPBB.com. which is down for me atm for some reason?
No there were no instructions in the Welcome email together with the other stuff. I did try to follow the instructions to set it up with a gmail account and gmail setting but Zilch..

Im staggering from one teething problem to another since we moved to the new Host yesterday. So you may be seeing more of me :mrgreen:
Helena

Postby Helena » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:08 am

:o OMG Robert, I think they gave me the blueprint for a NASA space program... :?
Helena

Postby lumpy » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:12 am

Helena wrote::o OMG Robert, I think they gave me the blueprint for a NASA space program... :?

and that means?
:D

robert
*********************************************************************************************
If you are happy with my services, please consider a donation by clicking on the donation button below so I can continue to provide help.
Thank you
lumpy
Site Admin

Postby Helena » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:42 am

I asked the techie on hte help desk who was increasing the size of file I could upload about it, he sent me a file.. presumably with everything I need to get it working.. :? May as well be in Serbo Croatian..

http://hereford.webhosting.uk.com/contact.zip
Helena

Postby lumpy » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:20 pm

Helena wrote:I asked the techie on hte help desk who was increasing the size of file I could upload about it, he sent me a file.. presumably with everything I need to get it working.. :? May as well be in Serbo Croatian..

http://hereford.webhosting.uk.com/contact.zip

apparently he did not understand what you are trying to do.
that is about how to create and use a php based contact form and has absolutely nothing to do with phpbb or how to get the email working in phpbb.

let me have a admin login to your board and I will see if I can get it working for you.

robert
Thank you
lumpy
Site Admin

Postby lumpy » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:16 pm

can you copy the email you got from the host when you first signed up and paste it here or in a PM to me.

thanks.

robert

actually, all I need is a email username and password for your holyburble.com account.

that should have been in your welcome email
or
you can go into the hosting control panel, create a new email account and then give me that username/password. once we can get a email username/password for a email account at your domain name, we can get the email to working.
Thank you
lumpy
Site Admin

Re: Email settings (SOLVED)

Postby riya20 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:20 am

I noticed you are MIA on the php forums so came to try to find you here
8-)
**SignaturE**
riya20

Return to Basic Support