FTP

FTP

Postby Helena » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:46 pm

phpBB Version; 2.0.? or 3.0.? :
phpBB Type: Standard
MODs installed: No
Your knowledge: Beginner

What changes, if any, did you make just before the problem started?

What have you already tried to solve the problem?

Description and Message
OK, Ive set up a user ftp account, imported the xml file, successfully logged in using Filezilla, cannot see any files.. I can see them fine if I login with the founder id.. Do I need to manually copy the files from Public_html into public_ftp??
Helena

are you here: yes

Re: FTP

Postby lumpy » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:39 am

not sure what you are trying to do here.

robert
*********************************************************************************************
If you are happy with my services, please consider a donation by clicking on the donation button below so I can continue to provide help.
Thank you
lumpy
Site Admin

Postby Helena » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:10 pm

Ah, ok on my old Host, I used Filezilla using ( rightly or wrongly) using my c/panel login. it worked perfectly, it also works perfectly on my new hosting account, BUT:
NOTE: We have disabled the default FTP login (cpanel login username ) on all our Linux Shared Hosting Servers. As you have a Linux Shared Hosting Account with us, you will need to login to your cpanel control panel and add a new FTP account from "FTP Manager". In order to access your account via FTP, you will need to use this new FTP account from now onwards. The default cPanel login username will no longer work for FTP access.

We have taken this action due to a sustained FTP injection attack targeting many shared hosting servers around the globe. Customers who generally save their FTP login credentials in FTP software like WS_FTP-Pro, FileZilla, Cute-FTP, Dreamweaver or Frontpage are prone to such FTP Injections. Your login credentials are leaked to the hackers once a Trojan or Virus gets installed on your Windows Machine. The easiest way to save your login credentials would be, to save them in a text document without saving the Domain name or Login Host information in the same document. To be absolutely sure your FTP account won’t get compromised, we highly recommend you choose a strong password which contains a combination of upper and lower case letters, numbers and special characters such as $?£;: while adding a new FTP login name from your cpanel control panel. Webmasters, who manage multiple websites may not like this change, but losing your data and then losing your rankings in Search Engines will create more trouble.

So I did as they ask, made another ftp account, configured it, got the xml download, opened Filezilla, imported the xml file, logged in with the new user account and zilch, I cant see anything.

Helena

Postby Helena » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:36 pm

:roll: Solved, the system named it wrongly. it should have had only /home/xxxxxxb/public_html it had
/home/txxxxxx/public_html/xxrxxxx
Last edited by Helena on Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Helena

Postby lumpy » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:35 pm

ah, glad you got it worked out.
this is the first I have heard of this. I have always used cpanel hosts and have never heard of this type of attack.
it really has nothing to do with the host or ftp or filezilla etc. it apparently only happens is a windows user gets a very specific virus/trojan on their computer. I even doubt that this is really something that happens but I am no expert on this.

wait, it just dawned on me. if they are using the default username/password for ftp then they have the username/password to get into your cpanel account as well. that is much worse than just having the ftp access.

if this is true then you should change your main cpanel password as well and your host should know that.

just about every cpanel host out there ( itis the most widely used server account software) has it setup that your main cpanel account login is used for the main ftp login as well.

therefore, it isn't just the ftp that is vulnerable.

robert
*********************************************************************************************
If you are happy with my services, please consider a donation by clicking on the donation button below so I can continue to provide help.
Thank you
lumpy
Site Admin

Postby Helena » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:27 am

Not a lot is making sense on WHUK tbh.. I'm in a bit of a nightmare, I'm being a rebel and using the C/Panel user because the user I made is again not working and I wanted to do a full back up. I cant see me staying with them tbh, I miss Hostgator, life was simple. Shame about the takeover.
Helena

Postby Cathleen » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:42 am

Not a lot is actually making perception in WHUK tbh.. I am with a bit of a nightmare, I am being a cool dude and also when using the C/Panel person considering that the person My spouse and i created is actually again no longer working and also I wanted to try and do a complete support. My spouse and i find it difficult to notice me sticking with these individuals tbh, My spouse and i miss Hostgator, lifestyle has been simple. A sense of shame in regards to the takeover.
Enjoy the real success with JN0-360 free exam dumps exam and cisco ccna online training programs and latest APPLE .
Cathleen

Return to Basic Support