Creating a Test Forum along with "Live Forum".

Creating a Test Forum along with "Live Forum".

Postby zOSHelpForums » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:03 am

phpBB Version; 2.0.? or 3.0.? :
phpBB Type: Standard
MODs installed: Yes
Your knowledge: Basic Knowledge
Boardlink: http://www.ibm-mainframes.com

PHP Version: 5.4.22
MySQL Version: 5.5.33

What changes, if any, did you make just before the problem started?
Board works well, though I need to get a "live test board" installed without disturbing the live-board and its database.

What have you already tried to solve the problem?
1. Downloaded the phpBB 3.0.12.
2. Loaded it to root directory of my site and can see the "installation page" now.

Description and Message
I'm trying to get a "live test board" installed without disturbing the live-board and its database. And I think I'd need a bit more help in creating database and setting up path so that in the process, I don't disturb the board.

Regards,
zOSHelpForums

are you here: yes

Re: Creating a Test Forum along with "Live Forum".

Postby lumpy » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:16 am

HI,

who is your host?
what is the name of the folder for the test board?

what problems are you having creating your database?

thanks,
robert
*********************************************************************************************
If you are happy with my services, please consider a donation by clicking on the donation button below so I can continue to provide help.
Thank you
lumpy
Site Admin

Postby zOSHelpForums » Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:12 pm

Host Gator is the host.

Folder name is "Test Board".

I'm using phpMyAdmin and have these two questions:

1. I'm not sure how to proceed with creating database with.
2. In the process, I don't want to disturb the the existing db/tables - and I'm not sure how can I avoid that and so seeking guidance.
zOSHelpForums

Postby lumpy » Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:28 pm

ok, you shouldn't be using phpmyadmin for any of this.

hostgator has a version of cpanel for their hosting control panel.

http://www.hostgator.com/tutorials/cpan ... cpanel.htm

http://www.hostgator.com/tutorials/cpan ... tabase.htm

if you follow these two tutorials you will then have a new database for your new board.

first thing you need to do is to rename your new folder.
change the folder name to testboard
you should never use caps in a file/folder name. the only thing that understands that is windows and your server is not windows.

also, you should never use spaces in a file/folder name for the same reasons.

the best thing is always lowercase and no spaces etc.

also, your current Test Board folder does not have proper permissions set. using your ftp, right click on the folder and change the chmod/permissions to 755 from whatever you have it set to .

Now, in your browser, go to your new testboard folder and add install to the url

yourdomain.com/testboard/install

follow the steps,
put the new database name, username and password in the boxes

keep clicking buttons until you are done.

you now have a brand new phpbb board that is not connected in any way to your existing live board and you can play with it to your hearts content.

once you have this up and working let me know and I will tell you how to backup your live board database and import it to your new testboard so you will see the same things on it as you have on your live board.

robert
*********************************************************************************************
If you are happy with my services, please consider a donation by clicking on the donation button below so I can continue to provide help.
Thank you
lumpy
Site Admin

Postby zOSHelpForums » Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:16 pm

Yo! Yo!

I got it going!

The testboard is up and running: http://ibm-mainframes.com/testboard/phpBB3/index.php

Now how to to replicate the "live board"?

Thanks again :)
zOSHelpForums

Postby lumpy » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:17 pm

great work!

ok, now we use the phpmyadmin you were trying to use before.

this is how you get your backup database:

1. using your ftp, look in the config.php file for your live board ( not the new one )
in there you will see the database name being used by that board.

2. copy and paste it into a text file or just save a copy of the config.php file to your computer.

3. go to phpmyadmin, look in the database list on the left side. find the one with the name that is in the config.php file you were looking at in number 1. above.

4 click on the name on the left side then you should see all the tables for it listed on the right side.
5. one of the tabs at the top of the screen will say export, click on that.

6. you should see a choice of "display all options" click on it.
make sure all the tables are selected
make sure "save output to a file" is checked
make sure "structure and data" is checked
make sure 'Add CREATE DATABASE" is NOT checked
make sure "Add CREATE PROCEDURE" is checked
make sure "CREATE TABLE and IF NOT EXISTS" are both checked
make sure "include column names in every INSERT statement " is checked
make sure "Dump binary columns in hexadecimal notation" is not checked
leave all others as they are.

click the "go" button
you will either get a box asking you where you want to download it to or your browser will automatically download it to whever it normally downloads files.

make sure you can find that file.

now, this is how you use that backup sql file to import into your new testboard:

1. back to phpmyadmin
2. on the left side, find the database that you created for your testboard. click on it
3. on the right side you should see all the tables for that database. ( they will most likely have the same prefix
as the ones for the live board does ( phpbb_) that is fine.
4. now, the tabs at the top, you will see one named "import" click on it.
5. you will see a "browse" button and beside it you should see a statement telling you what the maximum file size you can upload is.
as long as the maximum is larger than the file size of the sql file that you downloaded earlier, you are fine.
6. click the browse button and find the sql backup file you downloaded earlier.
7. click the go button
wait

done.

Now, if your backup file is too big for the import function let me know and I will show you a different way to get around it.

ropbert
Thank you
lumpy
Site Admin

Postby zOSHelpForums » Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:44 am

Hi Robert,

Thanks - i think I got t working and databases are loaded to test-board. However I've couple of queries, as I believe the interface I've for phpMyAdmin is bit different compared to what you've suggested so some options are different:

Queries on "this is how you get your backup database:"

make sure 'Add CREATE DATABASE" is NOT checked
-- I do not have this option showing up under "Object Creation Options" at my end. What I see is shown in the attached file.

As there is no option "Add CREATE DATABASE" - so could not follow this. But as it's not there, I'll assume the correct option is used while unloading.

make sure "CREATE TABLE and IF NOT EXISTS" are both checked
- I've also selected "auto increment" here, as shown in the attachment.

I also looked at this post of yours and made the above said educated guesses: https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... &t=2205016 hopefully they are correct, please advise.
Attachments
Difference in options phpMyAdmin.jpg
(159.96 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
zOSHelpForums

Postby lumpy » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:24 am

yes, different versions have different options and/or they are in different places.

the only thing I see wrong with the image you posted here is that you do not have the
"include column names in every INSERT statement " checked.

however, that is not necessary unless you are having to use bigdump to restore with or unless you are deleting the old database for the new.

since yours worked that is fine.

however, when you get ready to make a new backup for whatever reason it would be good to get in the habit of doing that just in case.

what did you decide on the folder name for your board? it is not Test Board, it is no test board, it is not testboard or TestBoard?

robert
Thank you
lumpy
Site Admin

Postby zOSHelpForums » Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:26 pm

Thanks Robert.

I checked the box for "include column names in every INSERT statement" while unloading ,did not notice that the screen capture was not showing that... :oops:

what did you decide on the folder name for your board? it is not Test Board, it is no test board, it is not testboard or TestBoard?
testboard it is. I did not get you, actually.

And now I need to get the structure of categories/forums to test board from live one? This is to follow https://www.phpbb.com/kb/article/transf ... or-domain/ for that?
zOSHelpForums

Postby lumpy » Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:29 pm

zOSHelpForums wrote:Thanks Robert.

I checked the box for "include column names in every INSERT statement" while unloading ,did not notice that the screen capture was not showing that... :oops:

testboard it is. I did not get you, actually.

And now I need to get the structure of categories/forums to test board from live one? This is to follow https://www.phpbb.com/kb/article/transf ... or-domain/ for that?

ok, I can not access your board. I am getting a 403 error. that means that your folder named testboard has the wrong permissions set for it.
use your ftp, right click on the testboard folder and choose chmod or permissions or whatever your ftp has.
set it to 755.

I am confused. If you followed my instructions above about what to do with phpmyadmin your testboard should be an exact duplicate of your live board and you should not have to do anything more.

robert
Thank you
lumpy
Site Admin

Postby zOSHelpForums » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:18 am

lumpy wrote:ok, I can not access your board. I am getting a 403 error. that means that your folder named testboard has the wrong permissions set for it.
use your ftp, right click on the testboard folder and choose chmod or permissions or whatever your ftp has.
set it to 755.
Pardon my ignorance but this should not have happened. As the permission are set to 755, please see the attached screen shots. I also check the permissions using "Legacy File Manager" from cPanel and they show 755.

Permissions - Folder phpBB3.jpg
Permissions - Folder testboard.jpg

Also, what URL are you using to browse the board? I've used http://ibm-mainframes.com/testboard/phpBB3/index.php to browse the test board as a guest (and in a separate browser just to be sure) and it shows there.

I am confused. If you followed my instructions above about what to do with phpmyadmin your testboard should be an exact duplicate of your live board and you should not have to do anything more.
I've followed everything and see the Database there but not the categories/Forums; it shows only "Your first forum" and nothing else.

Again, pardon me if I've not understood it well - "Restoring the phpBB Files" step described here https://www.phpbb.com/kb/article/transf ... or-domain/ is not needed for us?

Just a side note - I was removing the "MOD Version check" MOD from live board and it corrupts "system tab" in ACP. But I believe this has got nothing to do with all the behavior we discussed above?
zOSHelpForums

Postby lumpy » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:24 pm

ok, I see the problem now. I didn't expect you to put the phpBB3 folder inside the testboard folder so i was trying to access the testboard folder without going to the phpBB3 folder.

as for the step in that article. that is exactly what I described in my post above.

if you follow the instructions in my post above, exactly and in order, then you will have the new board with all the posts, members, etc. from the original board.

robert
Thank you
lumpy
Site Admin

Postby zOSHelpForums » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:54 pm

lumpy wrote:ok, I see the problem now. I didn't expect you to put the phpBB3 folder inside the testboard folder so i was trying to access the testboard folder without going to the phpBB3 folder.
Yes, that is how it is,but your point make sense, I should just have have http://www.ibm-mainframes/testboard/. I'll do that.

as for the step in that article. that is exactly what I described in my post above.

if you follow the instructions in my post above, exactly and in order, then you will have the new board with all the posts, members, etc. from the original board.
Robert I might be wrong but following your post we never took files' back-up and copy to testboard, we just took database unload/load - is that enough? Please advise if I got it wrong.
zOSHelpForums

Postby lumpy » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:11 pm

ok, all of the forums, topics, posts etc are in the database. the only thing the files are for is the visual layout colors, etc.

I see you have made some changes to the prosilver style. you have a welcome box and an extra menu.

to add that to your test board;

1. use your ftp , download the prosilver folder from your live board to your computer.

2. now, upload that prosilver folder to your new test board styles folder. let it overwrite the one that is there.

done.

robert
Thank you
lumpy
Site Admin

Postby zOSHelpForums » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:28 pm

lumpy wrote:1. use your ftp , download the prosilver folder from your live board to your computer.

2. now, upload that prosilver folder to your new test board styles folder. let it overwrite the one that is there.

done.
Did that but something does not match up, looks like. I see, the "welcome on index" box correctly, but other MODs - "additional menus" in header are messed up, and "Who was here" at bottom of index page is not correct. And no categories/Forum is showing up.... :(
zOSHelpForums

Postby zOSHelpForums » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:36 pm

Actually I've some more MODs installed on my board:

1. Welcome PM on first Login (WPM)
  2. Show Banned Status
  3. Separate Login and User Name
  4. Static Pages
  5. Unique Visits Counter
  6. View User Posts Link
  7. Menu System [inside header]
  8. Share On
  9. NV "who was here?"
  10. Welcome on index

Not sure if they can create problems, but if we've copied the pro-silver there ,if should have been all well...
zOSHelpForums

Postby lumpy » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:47 pm

ah, well this is a different matter.

here is how to fix it:

1.on your computer, create a new blank folder name it board
2. using your ftp, download all of the phpbb files and folders from your main site root to that folder on your
computer named board.
3. do NOT download any of the site/server files/folders like the cgi_bin folder or other ones that are not part of phpbb
and do NOT download the folder named testboard.

4. now, in your ftp, open the new phpbb folder ( should be just testboard if you already moved all of the files/folders out of phpBB3 and put them in testboard).

5. upload all of the old phpbb files/folders from the folder on your computer named "board" to the folder named "testboard on the server.

do NOT upload the folder named "board", just all the files/folders that you put in it in step #2 above.

when you are done, you should now have , in the folder named "testboard" a copy of all the original files/folders from your original live board.

since you already imported the database backup ( I assume you did this already ) you will now have an exact copy of your original live board at the moment you made the database backup.

sorry for the confusion. I did not know you had all those MODs added or I would have explained this in the beginning.

luck,
robert
Thank you
lumpy
Site Admin

Postby zOSHelpForums » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:03 pm

lumpy wrote:3. do NOT download any of the site/server files/folders like the cgi_bin folder or other ones that are not part of phpbb
I'm not very sure on the folder/files which should fall under the category of "site/server files/folders" so if I compare the folder/file names from "phpBB3 folder" of, for example - from phpBB 3.0.12 setup, and keep only those which are present in phpbb3 folder - will that be good enough guess?

Thanks,
zOSHelpForums

Postby lumpy » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:21 pm

zOSHelpForums wrote:
lumpy wrote:3. do NOT download any of the site/server files/folders like the cgi_bin folder or other ones that are not part of phpbb
I'm not very sure on the folder/files which should fall under the category of "site/server files/folders" so if I compare the folder/file names from "phpBB3 folder" of, for example - from phpBB 3.0.12 setup, and keep only those which are present in phpbb3 folder - will that be good enough guess?

Thanks,

yes that is correct.

by the way, I am answering your PM here. let's keep it in this topic. anyone following this would be lost if we do part of it here and part of it in PMs.

not sure why you are having problems with the reply button. it is not lite colored etc. it is pretty dark in contrast to the rest of the page.

as you said, it could be a problem with IE. IE does some very strange things , that is why I have never used it since I first discovered netscape/firefox back at the beginning of the web in 1995.
it really sucked back then and hasn't got any better since.

robert
Thank you
lumpy
Site Admin

Postby zOSHelpForums » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:39 pm

by the way, I am answering your PM here. let's keep it in this topic. anyone following this would be lost if we do part of it here and part of it in PMs.

Sure no problem, actually I was not able to locate the reply button and it was off-topic so sent you a PM. Please see the attached screen capture for chrome, with IE it's more worse:
Attachments
phpbbace Reply Button on Chrome.png
zOSHelpForums

Postby zOSHelpForums » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:34 am

I think I was about get it working but I got an abrupt shutdown of the laptop this morning, will try soon and let you know.

Though I've question

1. I'm sure that testboard is no way related to the live-board but:

a. I observe that "phpBB logo" on left upper corner is back on my live board now - which was removed by me. Why it comes back?

b. For the MOD "who was here" the "In total there were xx users online..." the counter "xx" is reset, i was not expecting this. Any pointer/s on this?

c. When I created the database for testboad I gave the "qualifier" for tables as "testbrd_", for example tables name were like: testbrd_acl_groups but when I load the database using phpMyAdmin the tables names changed ibmmainframes_acl_groups. Unless I'm mistaken 'these two' still represents two separate databases and not related to each other, yes?

Is there any way to change the qualifier of testboard to something to I prefer for all tables?
Last edited by zOSHelpForums on Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zOSHelpForums

Postby lumpy » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:50 am

check the config.php file for your testboard and for your main board. make sure that the testboard is using the correct database. the one you created for it.

oh crap, I just thought about this. when I told you to copy the main board files and overwrite the testboard files with them, I don't know if I told you to NOT copy the main board's config.php file and overwrite the test board config.php file with it. I bet that is why you are seeing these problems. If so, then your testboard is using the same database as your main board.

If this is the case, then the way to fix it is to edit the testboard config.php file to be using the correct database with the correct username/password and table prefix.

that would be the testbrd_ prefix.

and to answer your question about changing the prefix. yes, it would be possible but very involved and not really of any benefit to you.

as long as you know what the prefix is, it doesn't matter what it is. it could be booboo_ or oops_ or anything at all.
the only time you will ever see it is when you are doing maintenance etc.

robert
Thank you
lumpy
Site Admin

Postby zOSHelpForums » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:56 pm

lumpy wrote:and to answer your question about changing the prefix. yes, it would be possible but very involved and not really of any benefit to you.

as long as you know what the prefix is, it doesn't matter what it is. it could be booboo_ or oops_ or anything at all.
That's precisely the question - while doing maintenance I want to avoid, just in case, when I open two sessions of phpMyAdmin, and the edits of one database are mistakenly gone to other... as tables just look alike! That might sound idiotic but I know myself! :)
zOSHelpForums

Postby zOSHelpForums » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:01 pm

1. And phpBB still shows up on live board. Can you please guide why would that happen.
2. Now, I'm getting logged off from live-board every now and then though under "Who is Online" I'm still shown as logged in under "Registered users:" - what could cause that? And it usually happens when I'm logged in on both boards from same browser...
zOSHelpForums

Postby lumpy » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:23 pm

zOSHelpForums wrote:
lumpy wrote:and to answer your question about changing the prefix. yes, it would be possible but very involved and not really of any benefit to you.

That's precisely the question - while doing maintenance I want to avoid, just in case, when I open two sessions of phpMyAdmin, and the edits of one database are mistakenly gone to other... as tables just look alike! That might sound idiotic but I know myself! :)

why would you make that mistake when they are not alike?

one set of tables has this:
ibmmainframes_ ( the original board )

and the other, like this:
testbrd_ ( the new board )

besides, if you created a completely new database for the test board you can not be looking at both sets of tables at the same time in phpmyadmin.

robert
Thank you
lumpy
Site Admin

Next

Return to Basic Support