Creating a Test Forum along with "Live Forum".

Re: Creating a Test Forum along with "Live Forum".

Postby lumpy » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:25 pm

zOSHelpForums wrote:1. And phpBB still shows up on live board. Can you please guide why would that happen.
2. Now, I'm getting logged off from live-board every now and then though under "Who is Online" I'm still shown as logged in under "Registered users:" - what could cause that? And it usually happens when I'm logged in on both boards from same browser...

1. not sure about that but it probably has something to do with the mix up. simply replace the phpbb logo just like you did the first time.

2. for whatever reason your live board is not creating any cookies at all.

'
the cookie domain should be set to : .ibm-mainframes.com ( totice the dot in front )
change the cookie name
cookie path should be: /

robert
*********************************************************************************************
If you are happy with my services, please consider a donation by clicking on the donation button below so I can continue to provide help.
Thank you
lumpy
Site Admin

are you here: yes

Postby zOSHelpForums » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:59 pm

lumpy wrote:why would you make that mistake when they are not alike?

one set of tables has this:
ibmmainframes_ ( the original board )

and the other, like this:
testbrd_ ( the new board )
When I create the new board the set of tables were "testbrd_" but when I upload the database back-up from live board, the tables look like "ibmmainframes_" though on left side of phpMyAdmin correctaly points to "testboard" database:
Attachments
Table qualifier.png
zOSHelpForums

Postby lumpy » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:17 pm

ok, I got it now. I forgot about that.

there is no easy way to rename them.

just be sure when you are working in phpmyadmin that you have the correct database in the window.

I tell you what. I can rename them all for you in just a couple of minutes if you can zip up the backup file and put it somewhere for me to download or even email it to me

so, on your computer, zip up the old board database backup sql file and then email it to me here at:

support@phpbbace.com

I will fix it for you, send it back and then you can import it again to the new database.

then, all the table names will be testbrd_ again and there won't be any confusion.

robert
*********************************************************************************************
If you are happy with my services, please consider a donation by clicking on the donation button below so I can continue to provide help.
Thank you
lumpy
Site Admin

Postby zOSHelpForums » Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:09 am

lumpy wrote:so, on your computer, zip up the old board database backup sql file and then email it to me here at:

support@phpbbace.com
I've sent a zip file to you for db, please have a look.

I'm not sure however if the process is not too complicated - I'd like to learn it. Also, in phpMyAdmin I see an option as "Rename database to:" as shown in screen capture -- should not that help us in doing what we intend to do? Please assist.

Regards,
zOSHelpForums

Postby lumpy » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:43 am

the process is renaming the tables ,not the database itself. the name of the database doesn't matter as long as your config.php file has the correct name in it.

here is what I did. It took me about 1 seconds to do but I wasn't sure how complicated it would be to explain.

1. unzipped the file you sent to a working folder on my computer ( I have one for your stuff )
2. opened that file in my text editor ( sql backup files are just text and you can open them in any text editor )
3. did a search and replace for ibmmainframe_ with testbrd_ ( that took a couple of seconds )
4. saved the file and zipped it back up
5. attached it to this message

done.

If you are going to work with phpbb as much as you are then you need a good text editor.
I use and recommend EditpadLite. It will open up any size file that your computer has the memory to support.
It has an excellent search and replace function and if very easy to use.
http://www.editpadlite.com/

if you want to practice this technique, download and install the text editor.
set it to be your default text editor or at least tell it to open sql files.

make a copy of your backup file, save it with a different name of course.

right click on the file and choose open with editpad lite
or, if you have set it to be your default text editor it will probably open if you just double click on the file.

then, down at the bottom,
type in ibmmainframe_ in the box that says search:
type in testbrd_ in the box that says replace:

click on the "replace all" button in the menu above those boxes.
watch the text of the file. it will magically change before your eyes.

done.

robert
Attachments
testboarddbbkup.zip
(822.31 KiB) Downloaded 332 times
Thank you
lumpy
Site Admin

Postby zOSHelpForums » Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:22 pm

Thanks Robert.

I've downloaded editpad lite and installed it -- and I see the prefix is changed to "testbrd". (I have been using Notepad ++ as editor.)

OTOH, I think there is something missing - even when I load the changed sql file, it does not show up the correct prefix. I did multiple time but in vain. Please have a look at the attached screen shot. I'm not sure why that happens... :?
Attachments
prefix .jpg
zOSHelpForums

Postby lumpy » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:30 pm

not sure unless you are importing the wrong file.
here it is again. I have renamed the file and the zip file to testbrd.sql and testbrd.zip respectively.

download it again. unzip it on your computer. do not upload the zip file using phpmyadmin.

unzip it to your working folder on your computer first.

you should then have a file named testbrd.sql

now, in phpmyadmin, import that file and see what happens.

robert
oops, I forgot to attach the file. here is now.
Attachments
testbrd.zip
(822.29 KiB) Downloaded 340 times
Thank you
lumpy
Site Admin

Postby zOSHelpForums » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:37 pm

Thanks for your patience Robert,however, this also does not seem to help...:(. Prefix is still "ibmmainframes"
zOSHelpForums

Postby lumpy » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:54 am

I just snapped.

look and see if there are two sets of tables. one set with ibmmainframes and one set with testbrd

if so, edit your config.php file to use the testbrd_ prefix
robert
Thank you
lumpy
Site Admin

Postby zOSHelpForums » Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:22 pm

lumpy wrote:I just snapped.

look and see if there are two sets of tables. one set with ibmmainframes and one set with testbrd

if so, edit your config.php file to use the testbrd_ prefix
robert
You're correct - there are two sets of tables as you said. I've changed the config.php file to use testbrd_ and uploaded it to the root directory of test-board. Well, this comes:
General Error
Could not get style data

I thought it might be because the database still has two different set of tables, so uploaded the sql file, from your previous post, again using phpMyAdmin but it still shows both the table. Having said that, now as config file has testbrd_ prefix - any change on board will refer to testbrd_ tables and ibmmainframes_ tables? If yes, will the ibmmainframes_ will keep on lying there just like that?
zOSHelpForums

Postby lumpy » Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:26 pm

instead of overwriting the ibmmainframe tables , the import simply added the new testbrd tables to the database.

as long as your config.php file is pointing to the testbrd tables then the other set will never be used or changed etc.

the error about style data is because there is a style missing in the test board style folder that was installed on the old board as the default style. therefore, it can't find those files.

you can either copy over whatever style is missing from the live board to the test board using ftp.

or, you can go into phpmyadmin and make changes to the database.

I would suggest adding the missing style to the styles folder on the test board.

robert
Thank you
lumpy
Site Admin

Postby zOSHelpForums » Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:57 am

lumpy wrote:the error about style data is because there is a style missing in the test board style folder that was installed on the old board as the default style. therefore, it can't find those files.
This got me thinking that why would this happen? I brought the test-board to basic prosilver and added the config file with these attributes: (I've used symbolic values for password, dbname and dbuser )

<?php
// phpBB 3.0.x auto-generated configuration file
// Do not change anything in this file!
$dbms = 'mysqli';
$dbhost = '';
$dbport = '';
$dbname = 'aaaaaa_testboard';
$dbuser = 'aaaaaa_testbrd';
$dbpasswd = 'xxxxxxxx';
$table_prefix = 'testbrd_';
$acm_type = 'file';
$load_extensions = '';

@define('PHPBB_INSTALLED', true);
// @define('DEBUG', true);
// @define('DEBUG_EXTRA', true);
?>

and this brought back the initial board with only one Forum, see the attachment.

This should happen only when the underlying database does not have data - keeping this in mind, I compared the size of table "ibmmainframes_acl_groups" and "testbrd_acl_groups" to understand if they are "same" -- but "ibmmainframes_acl_groups"= 277.9 KiB while "testbrd_acl_groups"= 4.3 KiB -- so if the config file keep on pointing to $table_prefix = 'testbrd_'; -- I'll keep on getting only one Forum...

Your thoughts please.
Attachments
config file issue.jpg
zOSHelpForums

Postby lumpy » Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:58 am

we have gone around in circles so much now that at this point I have no idea. the steps I have given you work when done correctly.

If you would be willing to give me access to your phpmyadmin and ftp, I would be happy to straighten this out for you.

Other than that, I don't know how to help you now.

If you do want to give me this access, do it in a PM as this discussion is public.

robert
Thank you
lumpy
Site Admin

Postby zOSHelpForums » Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:54 pm

Robert - Check the PM please.
zOSHelpForums

Postby lumpy » Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:02 pm

zOSHelpForums wrote:Robert - Check the PM please.

yep, I got it and I will look at it later today.

merry hoho etc.

robert
Thank you
lumpy
Site Admin

Postby zOSHelpForums » Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:51 pm

Merry Christmas! :)
zOSHelpForums

Postby lumpy » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:41 pm

Ok, it is all working now.
The problem was basic. The config.php file did NOT have the correct table prefix.
It had ibmmainframe_ instead of testbrd_

As we discussed, there were two sets of tables in the database for the test board.
that was my fault for not thinking correctly and not giving you proper instructions.

Here is exactly what I did to clean it up and get it all working correctly:

1. (exported) Made a backup of your main board database. saved to my computer.
2. deleted all the tables from the new testboard database.
3. renamed all of the table prefixes on that backup from ibmmainframes_ to testbrd_
4. imported those tables into the testboard database
5. edited the testboard/config.php file so that the correct table prefix is being used.
(testbrd_ )
6. copied all of the phpbb files /folders from the main site to my computer.
7.checked to see if the files in the testboard folder are all the correct copies from the main board.
8. cleaned up the testboard folder to remove all the stuff you copied in there that is not part of phpbb.
9.checked to make sure all was working properly.

If you notice , there are new posts on the main board that are not on the testboard. that means that it is working as expected.

OK, now you have a complete copy of your main board.

nothing you do on the main board will affect the testboard and nothing you do on the testboard will affect the main board.

If you make changes to the testboard that you want to apply to the main board, you will have to do them to the main
board exactly as you did them to the test board.
you will not be able to backup the testboard database and import it to the main board. you must NOT do that or
you will lose anything new on the main board.

so, there ya go. If you have any questions just let me know.

robert
Thank you
lumpy
Site Admin

Postby zOSHelpForums » Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:18 am

lumpy wrote:The problem was basic. The config.php file did NOT have the correct table prefix.
It had ibmmainframe_ instead of testbrd_
I made it that way later as I was getting that style files not found general error with testbrd_ as prefix.

8. cleaned up the testboard folder to remove all the stuff you copied in there that is not part of phpbb.
I still need to learn "how to identify what is not part of phpBB "?

you will not be able to backup the testboard database and import it to the main board. you must NOT do that or
you will lose anything new on the main board.
I should NOT be doing it - that make sense but why this
you will not be able to backup the testboard database and import it

Needless to say, you've given a great gift on Christmas! Ho Ho! Thank you! :)
zOSHelpForums

Postby lumpy » Wed Dec 25, 2013 12:36 pm

the point was that if you are using your testboard to test MODs or other changes and then want to make those changes to the main board, you can not simply export the test board database and import it over to the main board to make those changes. any time you import a database backup it overwrites/replaces the one that is there.

in your case, your main board will continue on, there will be new posts, new members etc.

if you were to import a database backup from the testboard to the main board it would overwrite the existing database and none of those new members, posts etc. would be there any longer.

hohoho

robert
Thank you
lumpy
Site Admin

Postby zOSHelpForums » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:46 pm

Got the point!

I'm facing a weird problem - I had removed the phpBB logo by removing the code for it from overall_header. Also made the color changes for "code tags" but they get reset to their previous values -- why would that happen? And this happened multiple times...any guess..
zOSHelpForums

Postby lumpy » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:54 pm

Hi, sorry it took so long to reply.

I am not sure what changes you are talking about to the code tags.

if you are making any edits to any files, you have to download those files to your computer, edit them with your text editor, upload them back and then you MUST refresh the style component that you were working on;

imageset/template/theme

then you MUST refresh your browser to see those changes.

etc.

robert
Thank you
lumpy
Site Admin

Postby zOSHelpForums » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:52 am

I think I win in replying late here! :)

Actually I was not keeping well and was on vacation after that.

if you are making any edits to any files, you have to download those files to your computer, edit them with your text editor, upload them back and then you MUST refresh the style component that you were working on;
I followed it as you've said but I 'm not sure if I made a mistake in the process, though I've made the changes again and so far it looks good. If I face some problem I'll come back for help.

Needless to say you are an excellent support and have a great knowledge about phpBB. Much appreciate your time and help.

Regards,
zOSHelpForums

Previous

Return to Basic Support